Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Lost Prince
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1
Links: Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: October 23, 2012
Add it: Goodreads | Shelfari
Summary from Goodreads:
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.
That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.
Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.
*possible spoilers and gifs ;D
*gifs do not belong to me.
Before reading:  I have adored every one of Kagawa's works, so before starting this, I was already like this:
and I wasn't disappointed... much.  I mean, don't get me wrong, the novel was really intriguing and the writing was gorgeous but ... the new characters don't compare to the original ones.
Characters:
Remember that little boy that started it all?  The one that Meghan had to rescue by going into the Nevernever?  See that cover up there ^ ? Yeah... Ethan grew up. o_o I know!  Ethan's character is revealed throughout this novel and I have to be honest, I expected him to be a sweet, adorable boy but all that kidnapping? yeah, he turned into a "bad-boy".  I do understand why though and the way he was portrayed went along with the story quite well so...
I did not like the love interest and even as I got further into the book and I could bear to read about her, something about her irked me and yeah...  The event near the very end did make me feel a bit bad about disliking her so much though... but I still didn't like her that much. 
For those who read The Iron Knight, remember Keirran? Yeah, well, he makes an appearance in this book as well and I honestly expected him to be more well, ash-like or just different really.  He seemed kind of weak and not really what I expected, to be honest but he was alright. 
Other characters made appearances throughout the novel, like the awesome cat, Grimalkin, who was one of my favorites during the Iron Fey series and a fairly new one, Razor, who climbed up my favorites with his hilarious comments that also added humor to the novel. Even though the new characters weren't as awesome as the old characters, which were hilarious and showed up a couple of times, they were still interesting and somewhat realistic.
Romance:
The romance was a bit too fast for my liking but after getting over that, it was really cute and realistic.  I was a bit relieved that Kagawa didn't pull the love triangle card again but I really enjoyed how she added the side romance to the novel.
Ending:
I have to admit the ending kind of threw me off and I can't wait to see how Kagawa pulls it off in the following books.  I also can't wait to see the other covers, haha. ^-^
Overall, it is a book worth picking up and even if you haven't read The Iron Fey series, you won't miss much. (x

1 comment:

  1. Razor was great! And it was awesome to see Grimalkin again :) I thought that his love interest wasn't that bad and I was happy that this book delivered. Nice review :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete