Tuesday, May 29, 2012

ARC Book Review: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Title: Lies Beneath
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Expected Publication Date: June 12, 2012
Author Links: Website | Twitter
Source: Arc/ Netgalley
Summary from Goodreads;
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him. 
Review:
4 stars, really enjoyed it.
The cover isn't that complex, just a simple mermaid swimming but the sunlight shines through the water so it balances out. Lies Beneath was a book I wasn't pining for, but ended up requesting. Then it so happens that it got approved, so cheers. :D
Lies Beneath had sounded quite interesting as I read the summary from Netgalley and I really hoped it would be the same throughout the whole book, and it delivered. The characters were totally original, and had their own personality, which I adored but I wish I'd gotten to know them more. The romance was so cute and adorable. The plot was not that original, but Greenwood managed to change some things up and spice others, making this story unique.
Basically, Greenwood grabbed elements that make a story unique, mixed them up in a bowl and voila, she made an intriguing book, which had me gasping in shock, and flipping though the pages until I finished it in a sitting.
Anne's Lies Beneath is a truly captivating read that will have you gasping in shock and awaiting the ending while sitting on the edge of your seat.
Book Trailer: The setting of this trailer is absolutely gorgeous!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Saw your link on Blogaholic Social Network and thought I'd follow you. I'd appreciate a follow back.

    Adria
    http://looking-for-a-breath-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know about the 'the plot was not so original' but it IS my 1st mermaid book so who am I to judge? *shrug*. Me too! I just kept requesting blindly on Netgalley and when I was accepted I have to carry the burden of reading it ;) Great review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete