Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: Dead is A Battlefield by Marlene Perez ( Dead is #6 )


Title: Dead is a Battlefield
Author: Marlene Perez
Author Links: Website | Blog | Twitter
Series: Dead is #6
Publisher: Graphia
Publication Date: March 2012
Summary from Goodreads;
Jessica Walsh is starting her freshman year at Nightshade High and trying to forget about the tragic events surrounding her brother’s graduation. She wants to have a normal high school experience. But that’s easier said than done in Nightshade.
When a new boy shows up at school, the girls are infected with a case of seriously creepy crushes. But when their obsession turns to violence, Jessica and her friends start to wonder if there’s more going on than just a little friendly rivalry. Are the smitten girls turning into love zombies?
And Jessica has other worries—like her crush on Dominic Gray, the cute but moody new singer for Side Effects May Vary, and the mysterious tattoo that appeared on her arm one day and lets her know whenever there is trouble brewing. Jessica learns she's a Virago, a woman warrior chosen to fight evil whenever it threatens her hometown. But does a lowly freshman really have what it takes to keep Nightshade safe?
Review:
I adore this series, really. One of my favorite things about this series is that you can pick any book of the series and read it. It doesn't have to be in any particular order and I really enjoy that. I also adore these covers, they're so colorful and simple. The book is also smaller than the usual printings.
I was worried at first because Marlene switches up some things and main characters but my worries disappeared as I got to know Jessica and read on. Jessica is not someone I can completely relate to but I did enjoy seeing her character face the challenges that came up and how she developed throughout the book. Her character was kind of oblivious at times but she caught onto things eventually. I was not disappointed with the romance and action in this book because it was simply filled with it. The romance was also not straight up falling in love, there's some background on that too. The romance was a tad too fast for my liking but it worked out towards the end. The pacing was consistent and never slowed down or went too fast except for an occasional moment in the story. The ending was great! I love how Marlene manages to give you a satisfying ending but leaves you wanting the next books in the series.
I'd recommend Dead is a Battlefield to anyone wanting a quick, light read that manages to include action and romance within it's pages too. I would also recommend it to fans of zombies. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment